Welcome to SFNeighborhoodblog

San Francisco is a city of neighborhoods, each with distinct characteristics, attitudes, problems, resources and possibilities. From the Sunset to South Beach, San Francisco State University to Bay View/Hunters Point, these communities and their residents together make San Francisco one of the world's most engaging cities.


View Larger Map

Blog Archive

The Neighborhoods of San Francisco

Click on the links below to learn more about the following neighborhoods:

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mua isn't just the sound of a kiss

It was a cold and stormy night...Well not really, it was actually a really day. After a killer 10-hour work day at the dry cleaner I felt that I needed to let loose like a goose and enjoy a bit of the downtown Berkeley/Oakland's nightlife. I wanted to have a good time, but I also did not want to spend all of my money. I must have done a lot of good deeds in my past life because a friend of mine called me and told me that his friend was celebrating his birthday at a new bar in Oakland called Mua. He said there will be free drinks and there will be no cover charge. In my head I did several back flips along with a jumping leg kicker, but I kept my cool and said "I'm down." Several hours later we were on our way to this fantastically new bar. "There it is," my friend said as we passed by what seemed to be an inconspicuous warehouse. We parked conveniently close to the warehouse-bar and made our one minute journey towards the magical place of fun and booze. Upon entering Mua I initially noticed something that was terrifying odd: no one was there to check the door, let alone my i.d. Though the place looked like a run-down warehouse on the outside, the inside was beautiful. The walls were decorated with dozens of abstract paintings, the floor had dozens of lovely dark brown hard-wood tables that conveniently had candles on them, and a healthy mixture of people sat around while enjoying the calm atmosphere. I would get into details about the partying, but that is of no importance. OK I'll give a little taste; there was drinking, high fives, some hugs here and there, and a lot of dancing. In-between doing the running man and the robot I felt a bit of emptiness inside me. Maybe it was his first time or maybe he just didn't know what the hell he was doing, but the DJ was terrible. I've never once been to a bar or club where one minute the Cache-Control: max-age=0

3D"SPELLING_ERROR_7">DJ
plays gansta rap and the next minute he switches over to the sweet jams of Madonna. And never have I been to a place where one minute the dance floor is congested with people shaking their junk and the next they are scurrying away, hoping to find the nearest exit. I tend to think of myself as easy to please, but the DJ at Mua shouldn't quit his day job. Anyway, that was it for my interesting outing at a new bar in Oakland that I think will eventually get more recognition that it deserves. Party on!

No comments:

Post a Comment