Welcome to SFNeighborhoodblog

San Francisco is a city of neighborhoods, each with distinct characteristics, attitudes, problems, resources and possibilities. From the Sunset to South Beach, San Francisco State University to Bay View/Hunters Point, these communities and their residents together make San Francisco one of the world's most engaging cities.


View Larger Map

Blog Archive

The Neighborhoods of San Francisco

Click on the links below to learn more about the following neighborhoods:

Monday, May 4, 2009

Kiss the frog

I was looking around the Excelsior a few weeks ago with a friend for a new adventure. I found one in the form of a tub half filled with live amphibians. I went into the Manila Market on Mission on a whim. There is an Asian market near my apartment, but my roomate has given it a stamp of disapproval so we've been on the prowl for a new place.  After several illegal traffic maneuvers we wound up in the parking lot and subsequently inside of the store.
I had no expectations when I walked into the store, which is how I've tried to approach most new experiences as of late. The market won me over the second I saw that they carried pluots which is one of  my favorite fruits (what can I say I'm easy to please). The market was filled with all kind of things that I'd never seen, and I frantically tried to create a mental catalog of everything that I wanted to try in the future.
 
Needless to say everything was going well. It was just one of those days where you feel like you've stumbled on something.  We were walking around looking at all of the fish contemplating whether or not to buy a talapia fish when it happened. I looked at the fish. Normal. I looked at the squid. Run of the mill. I looked at the shrimp. Boring. I looked at the frogs. Wait. I stepped back looked in and there they were. at least 30 pairs of eyes looking back at me. I lost my cool and i jumped back and made a small gasp. I looked over at the older woman who was returned my embarrassment with
 a smirk. I couldn't believe what I'd seen. It seemed so cruel to just stuff them all together and scoop them out for their final demise. Understandably it's hypocritical to want to pick a live fish from a tank one  minute and then be almost morally offended by these live frogs in second. Perhaps it was the shock of it all...perhaps it was the fact that they all seemed to be looking at me. Whatever, it was I definitely got what exactly what I asked for... a new experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment